The Beer Store expands its environmental commitment from recycling to green power
Toronto—Today, Bullfrog Power®, Canada’s leading green energy provider, and the Beer Store, a global environmental leader, announced the launch of a green energy pilot program in Beer Store locations across Ontario.
“The Beer Store has a long tradition of being at the forefront of environmental sustainability through our strong focus on recycling and by placing environmental leadership at the core of our values,” said Ted Moroz, President, the Beer Store. “Our partnership with Bullfrog Power marks the latest chapter in the Beer Store’s environmental story by demonstrating our commitment to building on our past successes and finding innovative new ways to make greener choices.”
The Beer Store’s partnership with Bullfrog Power means that Bullfrog’s generators put 100 per cent clean, pollution-free electricity onto the grid to match the power consumption of all seven of the bullfrogpowered Beer Store locations. The locations are distributed among seven cities in Ontario: Barrie, Gravenhurst, Guelph, Oakville, Peterborough, Toronto and Windsor. Across Canada, Bullfrog’s green electricity comes from a blend of wind and low-impact hydro power sourced from new Canadian renewable energy facilities.
“This announcement marks the first phase of the partnership between Bullfrog Power and the Beer Store and is part of a broader commitment to supporting green energy,” said Shaun Lewis, Vice President, Sales, Bullfrog Power. “By choosing green electricity with Bullfrog Power, the Beer Store is reducing its environmental impact and helping to advance new renewable energy projects in Canada.”
In addition to choosing green electricity with Bullfrog Power, the Beer Store engages in a wide range of sustainable business practices. The Beer Store’s sustainability milestones include:
- Maintaining a program of over 800 redemption locations province wide to take back all the bottles, cans, cartons, caps, kegs, plastic bags and can rings sold to consumers, as well as from the over 17,000 bars and restaurants its products are sold to. All collected materials are either reused or recycled.
- Sustaining a recovery rate of 99% on refillable bottles, including the industry standard bottle, which results in the most successful waste diversion program in Ontario.
- The return systems operated by the Beer Store resulted in material being recycled to higher end use and significantly reduced pollution and greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions supported by facilitating the use of refillable industry standard bottles and other refillable containers.
- The Environmental Choice Leadership Award (2007)—Canada’s first business recipient. 2011 Canadian Stewardship Award from the Conference on Canadian Stewardship. 2011 Globe Award for Environmental Excellence relating to Best Green Retailing Practices.
- Awarded a landmark contract with the Ontario government in 2007 to take back program containers and refund deposits on all wine, spirit and non-Beer Store listed beer containers sold in Ontario. The Ontario Deposit Return Program is set to continue to 2017.
About Bullfrog Power
Bullfrog Power, Canada’s leading green energy provider, offers renewable energy solutions that enable individuals and businesses to reduce their environmental impact, support the development of green energy projects in Canada and help create a cleaner, healthier world. As a Certified B Corporation, Bullfrog Power meets higher standards of social and environmental performance, transparency, and accountability. Thousands of individuals and businesses in Canada are doing their part to address climate change and air pollution by choosing green energy with Bullfrog Power. Sign up easily, quickly and affordably at bullfrogpower.com.
Join the bullfrogpowered community online on Facebook (facebook.com/BullfrogPower), Instagram (@bullfrogpower) and Twitter (@bullfrogpower).
About the Beer Store
The Beer Store is an Ontario beer retailer established in 1927, operating 448 retail locations where customers can choose from more than 400 beer brands, from over 100 brewers around the world.
Since 1927, the Beer Store has kept approximately 70 billion beer bottles from ending up in Ontario landfill sites—stacked end to end, that’s enough to make 25 trips to the moon and back!
The Beer Store is committed to the responsible sale of alcohol, and takes that commitment very seriously, whether it’s through the WeID 25 Program or refusal to sell to intoxicated customers. Social responsibility is a core value at the Beer Store.
Follow the Beer Store online on Facebook (facebook.com/TheBeerStoreOfficial) and Twitter (@mybeerstore), or visit www.thebeerstore.ca.
Contact Bullfrog Power
Public Relations Manager
Tel: 416.360.3464 ext 239
Contact the Beer Store
Marketing and Communications